Monday, October 11, 2004

Gnashing teeth

The week has got off to a good start.

My lab have been out of action for 3 months. Without getting into specifics it is all down to airflows. Anyway after considerable nagging from my head of department (HOD), some fans were replaced last week. However the problem persists and my lab is still shut! Apparently the airflow needs to be "balanced" but it is not clear who is supposed to be doing this. Arghhh!

The irony is that I left a perfectly good lab last March to move to "state of the art" facilities. That lab is still empty. I spoke to my HOD and asked if I could move back. But he said no because it was "politically sensitive" and would cause a "ruckus". Presumably it would disrupt the plans of Professor Genghis (the current landlord) to take over the campus. So now the 4 people in my lab wander around the corridors looking for a "room at the inn", when plenty of rooms are available!

So the week was off to a good start. My mood got considerably better when I was told that I would have to fill out yet more forms. My new research assistant is on a 1 year grant, but still requires a probation period of guess what, 1 year! We have an initial meeting, then one at 3 months, 6 months and 9 months. After which time we decide whether employment should be continued! It gets better, the worker on probation requires a mentor. So we have to drag someone else into this bureaucratic nightmare. Incidentally I had to download 7 documents from the Human Resources website to start this process. That's why scientists need access to high speed internet facilities!

Arghh again. The week can only get better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • «#Anonworkblogs?»