Thursday, December 23, 2004

Going through the motions

We have what would be called a skeleton staff, most of whom are going through the motions to preserve their annual leave entitlement. The last week of non-work has been punctuated by christmas parties. Unfortunately this meant a diminished audience for our seminar speaker, who was yet another oxford man looking for a new home. Apparently he had been for informal talks before with the big cheeses, but none of them had bothered to organise any sort of schedule for his "official" visit. Actually I felt sorry for him because he had bravely driven 5 hours and had to talk before we gave him any grub. He was quite down to earth and we had a good discussion about mutual research interests. It struck me that he was probably not enough of a self-promotor or political enough to get a job in our place.

The university has deemed that Christmas Eve is a compulsory day of annual leave. So this afternoon I will be clearing my desk by putting all the paper in a big bin liner. I am sure I won't miss it!

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to my reader. I will be back in the New Year for some more moaning.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • «#Anonworkblogs?»